NOTICE TO PATIENTS – MASKS REQUIRED FOR VISITS TO YOUR DOCTOR’S OFFICE AND THE FAMILY HEALTH TEAM CLINIC:
If you are coming to the clinic/physician office for an in-person appointment you must wear your own mask – exceptions are noted below.
- children under the age of 2 should NOT wear a face mask;
- anyone who is unable to remove them without assistance; or
- anyone who has trouble breathing.
Wearing a mask or other face covering plays an important role in protecting others, like covering your cough and maintaining physical distancing.
Many individuals who come to our physician offices are at a higher risk of complications from the virus (covid-19) so it’s important to protect those who are vulnerable. It’s also important to keep our healthcare professionals and staff healthy so they can remain available to provide care and service.
Due to the importance of preserving medical grade masks for appropriate use by health professionals, we are unable to provide medical grade masks to our patients.
In keeping with recommendations from the federal government – non-medical masks or face coverings should not:
- be shared with others
- impair vision or interfere with tasks
- be placed on children under the age of 2 years
- be made of plastic or other non-breathable materials
- be secured with tape or other inappropriate materials
- be made exclusively of materials that easily fall apart, such as tissues
- be placed on anyone unable to remove them without assistance or anyone who has trouble breathing
More information about the limitations and appropriate use can be found on the following website:https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks/about-non-medical-masks-face-coverings.html
Here are some resources to help you make your own mask or face covering:
• DIY Bandana Face Mask https://youtu.be/zkQq3Iex-qo
• A Doctor Explains How to Make the Safest Face Mask https://youtu.be/W6d3twpHwis
• Cloth mask with pouch https://www.sewcanshe.com/blog/simple-step-by-step-tutorial-for-the-olson-mask-pattern
• See the videos in this news story about how to wear a mask and ways to make your own mask https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/non-medical-masks-covid-19-spread-1.5523321
If you present to the clinic without a mask your appointment may need to be rescheduled.